Mar 5, 2007

PEDRO RICO!!!!


-Hi Pedro! How are u, Man? Glad that u found a minute and tell me and our blog readers about your life. I know that You practiced all your life in the Academy with JC Ferrero, José Ezequiel and Santiago Ventura too. You were Ferrero's partner in doubles many times and you with Ferrero won Spanish Championship. U have gone a lot of times to the ATP tournaments with Toni and Ferrero. Last year u were National Champion of USA University.
Tell us, how did u get to this academy? How long have u been here?
- I got to the academy when I was only 15 and I practiced there for six years, when I decided to go to USA and play college tennis. Equelite always gave me the opportunity to practice there and use their facilities whenever I wanted.
-How did the academy look like? (now its modern with all type of courts)
-That’s a good question…well, it didn’t have anything to do with what it is right now. When I started, Toni just bought the house (then, an old house) and it didn’t have any courts. Then within few months they built a couple of clay courts and then a couple more. The academy has been growing and improving every single year since then.
- How many players were there? And coaches?
-When I started in the academy there were very few players and coaches. It was not like the way it is right now. Samuel, Toni, Madrona were the main coaches when I started. My practice mates were then Juanki, Santi Ventura, Jose Ezequiel, Xavier Mascaro (from Menorca), Jesus Contreras (from Benidorm). Israel Matos, Pablo Garcia,etc. There was other players that came and left after a while but these are the people that I became good friends of mine. It was a great group because we were all the same age and we were also best friends. I was very fortunate that I was able to practice at such a great level everyday and this made me improve so much. I have a lot of beautiful memories from those years. I think we are going to need an extra interview if you want to know of some of the “old” Equelit stories…..hahaha
- How was physical training in academy? Did u run to the mountains?
-Conditioning was always one of the best things in the academy. Mountain?…hahahaha!! I don’t remember if we ran mountains or not but we ran a lot. Before the clay courts were done, we used to practice at a different site. I don’t know if you are familiar with the name “Agricola”. El Agricola used to be the place that we practiced at. I was not used to run that much before I got to Equelite and this made my first year be much harder than for some of the other guys who were already used to this type of conditioning…
- What did u like most of all here?
-What I liked the most…the friends I made in that academy are the best thing that I got from there. I spent a lot of time of my life in that academy and I have a lot great stories and experiences that made me learn a lot about life. However, if I had to choose one I would pick friendship.
- Can you remember any funny moments about your life at the academy?
- I have a lot…
- Lots of Ferrero’s fans read us, can you tell them about him?
- Discipline, hard work, humility, and heart, and a great friend from those years.
- Do you remember your first tournament? What did you feel?
- hehe. I was so nervous. It took me a while to get used to Toni watching my matches. I used to get so anxious….hahahaha
- How do you prepare yourself mentally before a game?
- I guess the night before. I liked getting everything ready the night before the matches. I wanted to have every single detail ready for battle
- What was the most difficult in the tournaments?
- stay mentally strong and being away from home
-What was the reason to leave the academy?
- I didn’t have the same passion I had few years before and I wanted to keep studding
- What did the academy give to you?
- Everything I asked them for
-Did your tennis change when you started to play in America?
- It obviously changed a little because I had to play on hard courts and I had to change few things in my game.
-Can u compare Spanish tennis and American one? Any specific tips?
- Clay Vs hard court. From what I have seen, I believe American tennis focuses much more on technique than Spanish tennis. I don’t really know but if I had to pick one thing from each one I would pick conditioning from Spain and psychology from USA
- What are your plans for future?
- Good question. Well, I just started coaching and I don’t know how long I will be doing this for. I love it so far but I don’t really know what my plans are for the future. I guess I would like to end up doing something that I’m happy with.
- What does tennis mean for u?
- Everything, all my life. Tennis has made me the person I am right now. Tennis gave me friends, education, and experience
- And the last thing what I would like to ask u, your Tennis Tips for guys who read our blog!!!
- buffff!! Just give the best you can give. But not only on the courts, give it also off the court and with the people you have around. Set up small goals for every single day. These goals are the goals that will lead you to the big and final goal. You need to have challenges and something to fight for everyday.
-Thanks!!!!