May 30, 2007

We ask Jason London about his experience in our tennis academy.

-Hi Jason! Glad that you found a minute to talk to me a little. I know that You were the first Australian at the Academy and you can tell me many experiences about your time in Europe and specially at the Academy. Also you have played a lot of Futures around the world. So, how did you get here? Australia is the other end of the world:) How old were you?
- ey dude…I spent 3 years at the academy and I look back now and appreciate that they have been some of the best years of my life so far. I first arrived in Villena at 15…it was the first time I went overseas!!!...i had spoken with Toni when he was in Melbourne the year before about going to the academy and that’s how it all started…
- What does it mean that you were the first Australian here? Were there any players from different countries or just all Spanish?
- first aussie there…yeh it was funny…I spoke no Spanish and most of the guys (there were like 12 others when I got there) spoke very little or no English at all…but they all made sure that I learnt the language reasonably quickly and I have them to thank that I can speak reasonable Spanish now…there was carlos pinto from Portugal and an English guy named tom Sampson…the rest of the players were Spanish when I first got there…but about 6 months later another portuguese player and now good friend, Jose Pires arrived…but the majority were Spanish.
-The question that I ask everyone, about the size of academy in your time? Courts? Coaches? training?
- it was totally different to now…it was very small when I got there…there were the 5 main claycourts and the academy were just starting to construct the first two hardcourts…there was also just the original house where all the players lived together…when I look back I loved that time the most…there was about 5 coaches in total when I first got there…they were all great…and training was ‘duro’ as usual.
- Was physical training hard in academy?
- very
- Tell us, please, the most interesting story that happened to u here.
- ha…it was at an ITF in Portugal with Madrona, Javi, Jose and some other players…I was in an ambulance at 2 am from the tennis club going to hospital with all the guys chasing after the ambulance in the academy van…and then they waited for me while I was in the hospital until 4 am…you have to ask madrona for more details….because there are many about that evening…but there was always something funny happening at the academy…it was never boring
- Do you remember your first tournament? How it was? What did you feel?
- not really…I remember my first ITF in Morocco and I was very nervous as most players are
- Could you give advice how players can prepare themselves mentally before a game?
- I liked to listen to music that got me in a very focused state of mind…but everyone has their own way of doing things…just having a routine which you’re comfortable with…I mean, you have JC there so im sure you don’t have to look far to see how the great players do it!!
- You played a lot of Futures around the world, what is the hardest part of it?
- when you have doubts about your progress combined with living away from home for most of the year is not easy…
-After losing the match, how did you prepare yourself to play the next one and be ready to win?
- first talk with the coaches about the match and then listen to them and try to do what they said…listening to them after a match and getting their opinion for me was very helpful…especially when there is a good connection with the coach
-What was the reason to leave the academy?
- 3 years in villena felt like a long time and some close friends from the academy had quit and I was thinking of doing the same at the time…but then I met some people from a small training base in germany and decided that maybe a change would get me fresh and motivated to continue playing…
- What did you get from the academy? If to compare when u came first and left the academy? How was your tennis?
- I cant tell you what the academy taught me…they taught so many things about living life and dealing with adversity that I could possibly write a book about it…part of the person that I am today has got to do with the years I spent at the academy…I am grateful of the people who guided me through those important years…as for the tennis…I learnt how to play from the baseline!!
-Can u compare Spanish tennis and Australian one? Any specific tips?
- this is easy…Spanish tennis is more tactical and as a consequence played more from the baseline…Australian tennis has been more on power and serve and volley…but this is not so much the case anymore…but the players here still like ti play points fast…sometimes too fast…as for tips…listen to your coaches
- What are you doing now if it’s not a secret?
- studying commerce and law at university in australia
- And the last thing what I would like to ask u, your Tennis Tips for guys who read our blog!!!
- be patient and if you’ve improved something by half a percent for the week you’ve done great!
-Thanks!!!!